En réponse à Jeff Jones <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hi all,
> I have some tables of phonetic symbols ((I hope the columns line up))
> I'm using for my Rubaga description and am wondering if anyone would
> care to provide X-SAMPA equivalents.

X-SAMPA equivalents? No problem! The ones I don't give equivalents to are
identical in X-SAMPA to what you gave. And I hope it will still be lining up
with me :)) .

> Consonants:
>                 |  stop  fricative nasal trill later. aprx.
>                 | VL  Vd   VL  Vd    Vd  VL Vd    Vd    Vd
> ----------------+------------------------------------------
> bilabial        | p   b    PW        m                   w
                             p\_w

/w/ is normally a labiovelar approximant. You're sure that what you mean is
purely bilabial? (I ask that because you also have a labiovelar row, where /w/
would fit better)

> labiodental     |          f   v
> labiodent.+pal. |          fJ  vJ
                             f_j v_j

Quite simple. Your W is X-SAMPA _w, and your J is X-SAMPA _j :)) .

> apicodental     | t   d    T   D     n             l
> apicodent.+lab. |          TW  DW
                             T_w D_w

> alveolar        |          s   z            (r)
> retroflex       |                            R
                                               r`

There's nothing like a retroflex trill in IPA (and I can't see how to mark it).
I replaced it here by the tap.

> palatoalveolar  |          S   Z
> palatovelar  or
> palatal         | c   gJ   C   GJ    nJ           (lJ)   j
                        J\       j\    J             L

> velar           | k   g    x   G     N
> labiovelar      | kW  gW   xW  GW    NW           (LW)
                    k_w g_w  x_w G_w   N_w           L\_w

> uvular          |                         X  Q
                                          R\_0 R\

I rendered your voiceless uvular trill with the voiced one and the sign for
voicelessness.

> glottal         |          h
> labioglottal    |         (hW)
                             h_w

> Also, what's the proper form of the affricates [tS] and [dZ] (the t
> and
> d in these are alveolar).

[t_S] and [d_Z] (_ renders the tie bar, but is also used for diacritics in X-
SAMPA).

> Vowels:
>            |    unrounded      rounded
>            | front    central     back
>   ---------+---------------------------
>   close    | i                       u
>   closemid |   I                    U
>        mid |     e        @        o
>    openmid |       E      V       O
>    open    |              a

[I] and [U] are not close-mid (that's [e] and [o]), they are close lax. The
only mid vowel is the schwa [@]. Also, [a] is not really central but front
(unless you mean [6], which is near open central unrounded, or inverted a in
IPA. You can also centralise [a], but then you have to use the centralise
diacritic - the umlaut - which makes in X-SAMPA [a_"]) and [V], if you mean the
vowel in "but" (inverted v in IPA) is the unrounded equivalent of [O]. Apart
from that, you're using X-SAMPA for the vowels already :)) .

Christophe.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr