En réponse à Jeff Jones <[log in to unmask]>:

> Thanks, Christophe, I knew I could count on you! There's a little bit
> of
> discussion below.

You're welcome! :))

>  Consonants:
>                  |  stop   fricative nasal  trill  later. aprx.
>                  | VL  Vd   VL   Vd    Vd  VL   Vd    Vd    Vd
>  ----------------+---------------------------------------------
>  bilabial        | p   b    p\_w       m
>  labiodental     |          f    v
>  labiodent.+pal. |          f_j  v_j
>  apicodental     | t   d    T    D     n               l
>  apicodent.+lab. |          T_w  D_w
>  alveolar        |          s    z             (r)
>  retroflex       |                              r'
>  palatoalveolar  |          S    Z
>  palatovelar  or
>  palatal         | c   J\   C    j\    J               L     j
>  velar           | k   g    x    G     N
>  labiovelar      | k_w g_w  x_w  G_w   N_w           L\_w    w
>  uvular          |                         R\_0 R\
>  glottal         |          h
>  labioglottal    |          h_w
>

> Well, the tongue is lowered somewhat in my own pronunciation of /w/, but
> it
> could be labiovelar, if that's more frequent.

I've checked, and I found out that you can symbolise a purely bilabial voiced
approximant as B_o. So if you want it to be purely bilabial, go ahead :)) .
Note just that it's quite rare as a sound.

> Are you sure? Isn't the Irish /r/ usually a retroflex trill?

I don't know Irish, so I cannot tell, but the only thing I told was that it
wasn't present in IPA. Still, the place is not grayed out in my tables, so it's
possible to pronounce. I just cannot find out how to write it down, either in
IPA or X-SAMPA. Maybe by using the "raised" diacritic (which would make it
r`_r), but that may be abusing the poor diacritic :)) .

> I'd forgotten to include symbols for uvular fricatives, since
> non-trilled
> versions can occur in dialects.

They are X and R in X-SAMPA (X voiceless, R voiced).

>  Vowels:
>              |    unrounded      rounded
>              | front    central     back
>    ----------+---------------------------
>    close     | i                       u
>    close lax |   I                    U
>    close mid |     e                 o
>    mid       |              @
>    ????????  |       E      6       O

This is simply called open mid :)) .

>    open      |             a_"
>

> I was using relative terminology, since the vowels don't exactly
> match.
> I had in mind /I/, /U/, /e/, /o/, /E/, /O/ all being slightly lowered
> and
> relatively tense, but I guess I'll have to change it, if it can't be
> notated.

You can use the "lowered" diacritic: _o. But as far as tenseness goes, there
seems to be no diacritic for it in IPA...

> My own vowel in "but" is central.

Could also be 3 then (a little higher than 6). If it's rounded, it's 3\.

> Why do I always get the Lon Chaney roles?

Become your own director! :)) (I should add that to my sig., but it would make
it less striking :)) )

Christophe.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr