On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 22:29:06 +0000 Tim May <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Incidentally, has anyone done anything interesting with
> acronymization, abbreviation etc in a conlang?  Something that
> differs significantly from English?
-

Well, in Rokbeigalmki, acronyms are made by taking the first
'forced-open' syllable of each word, and stringing them together with
accent-lengthening.  Meaning, that you start from the beginning of the
word, and cut it off after the first vowel/diphthong (which are
considered the same in Rokbeigalmki, most of the time).  When finding the
beginning of a word, you only count the root - no prefixes.
A few examples:

^dzuwaurg^dafal^ri.hlao^semoz-a
[d@zuwO:rg daPa:l rihla:w sEmo:z?a]
"the festival of the widening of the sun's circle"
(the Rokbeigalmki new-years day)
becomes: DZU''FA''RI [d@zu:Pa:ri:]

kamble-a tza'weithaad sudrabauk
[kamblE?a ts)a?wejT&d sudrabOk]
"the dance of rhythmic brawling"
(a Rokbeigalmki equivalent of the Brazilian martial art Capoeira)
becomes: KA''WEI''RA [ka:?we:jra:] (guess where i got the name :-P )

ooloi-aole-ad lesna
[u-lOj?awlE?ad lEsna]
"a language being [always/generally/routinely] created"
(meaning 'a conlang')
becomes: AO''LE [a:wlE:]
which happenes to be almost the same as _aole_ [awlE], 'artistic
creation' (which is were the AO part comes from).

The use of double-apostrophes to mark abbreviations i got from Hebrew;
internal-historywise, though, it's a development of the Rokbeigalmki
apostrophe used to join case-prefixes to words, which itself was
originally just a raised hyphen.

-Stephen (Steg)
 "that's so weird... is that normal?"