En réponse à Christopher B Wright <[log in to unmask]>:

> Jan nsakwish
> >Q.E.D.
>
> Wow! Another person who actually uses this! I wonder how many people
> use
> the abbreviation without knowing what it stands for or means, only how
> use it. "Quid erat demonstrandum": what was to be shown?

*Quod* erat demonstrandum! "Quid" means "who" :)) . In French, we actually
normally use its direct translation: C.Q.F.D.: Ce Qu'il Fallait Démontrer. And
yes, we do use it, though it's considered bad style to overuse it (and
extremely pompous to use its Latin counterpart :)) ).

As for the meaning, I think in this case the translation "What had to be
demonstrated" is nearer to the original intent. It's typically the formula used
to end the demonstration of a mathematical theorem after all :)) .

 Sounds about
> right, but it also sounds like the speaker had a sketchy Latin grammar
> and a dictionary to make it. Perhaps not. I don't know Latin; I just
> have
> good reference materials.

Well, yours was the first one I thought of too, and I consider that I do know
enough Latin to translate those things by head :)) .

> In Hansu, that works out to "Ras lo ndalkik" (with a vocalic n), or
> "Thus
> I have shown [it]".

Nice expression! Not a direct translation, and still exactly meaning what is
intended.

Christophe.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr