At 7:48 pm +0200 7/4/02, Philip Newton wrote:
>On 7 Apr 02, at 17:46, Raymond Brown wrote:
>
>>      p >< C          c >< P
>>      b >< K          k >< B
>>      j >< G          g >< J
>>
>>      t >< L          l >< T
>>      d >< N          n >< D
>>
>>      q >< R          r >< Q
>>      m >< S          s >< M
>>
>>      h >< x
>>      X >< V
>>      v >< H
>>
>> Srikanth also gives:
>>     f >< z          F >< z
>>
>> Clearly there is a typo here and one of the zeds/zees should be upper-case,
>> but I don't know which.
>
>The "obvious" conclusion would be that the correct form is
>
>      f >< Z   F >< z
>
>since the pattern for nearly all other consonants is "small a ><
>capital B and capital A >< small b".

I think you're probably right, but it's the "nearly all" that stops one
being 100% certain, and the fact that the typo was:
      f >< z   F >< z

and not:
      f >< z   z >< F

In the latter case, I think one would be 99.99% certain.

I thought it safer just to quote Srikanth's typo, rather than 'correct' it
myself.  Maybe he'll return to the list again some day.

Anyway, thanks for the observation,
Ray.

   XRICTOC ANESTH