>From: Christian Thalmann <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Phonology
>Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:48:04 +0200
>
>Here are some "recipes" to learn /y/ and /2/:
>
>/y/:  Round your lips as if saying "oo", but instead say "ee" (without
>       unrounding the lips!).  That should do the trick.
>
>/2/:  Round your lips as if saying "oh", but instead say "ay" (without
>       unrounding the lips, and if possible without the offglide
>       towards y or w.
>
>Have fun!

With all respect, I've always found those "try to say X but say Y instead"
instructions rather confusing - just how I'm supposed to do *that*?

Should anyone else have similar difficulties, my woolhead version of /2/,
for example, would be "say /o::/ and move your tongue forwards, keeping
everything else carefully in the same place" or "say /e::/ and round your
lips".
Yes, that's basically the same what you said, but at least I could follow
this more easily. :)

-----

On the subject, is there any tricks for how to better hear the difference
between spoken sounds - in addition of listening the sound files over and
over again?

---
-M. .