On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:38:19 +0200 Christophe Grandsire
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> En réponse à John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>:
> > Did you make this idiom up, or is it the normal French one?
> English
> > says
> > "apples and oranges".

> No, I made it half up. the idiom exists also in French, but only as
> a template,
> in which everyone is quite free to compare whatever s/he wants.
> There is
> no "definite" form. I often change the comparison points depending
> on my whim :)) .
> Christophe.
-

I've heard of an English-speaker who uses "apples and beef".

-Stephen (Steg)
 "yajee' alsalaam `alaynaa
  yajee' alsalaam `alaynaa
  yajee' alsalaam `alaynaa wa`alaa kulluhom.
  shalom!  `alaynaa wa`alaa kulluhom, shalom shalom."
     ~ rough inversion of _`od yavo' shalom `aleinu_