Raymond Brown wrote:
>Recently Mathias wrote:
>"BrSc--did i write it right? and how should it articulate....?"
>
>Well, _I_ don't know how one should articulate it.  If it were Lin, it
>would be [B@r\@S@c@]; as Srikanth didn't inform us about stress, I guess
>all syllables are equally stressed.  If it were in Babm [bO"a:bOmu], it
>would be: [bOrasekO] (but then the upper-case S would be unexplained).  Of
>course we could have syllabic _r_ as in SerboCroat, e.g., then assuming {S}
>is s-haczek we'd get [br=Sts] - (not easy to say).
>
>But it's not any of them. As I explained in reply to Mathias, it's not in
>fact the name of my conlang - it was a nickname given by someone else.
>Lest anyone else should be equally puzzled in the future by the strange
>{BrSc}, maybe it's about time it were named.
>
>In his "Comments on Solresol"
>http://www.ptialaska.net/~srice/solresol/comments.htm
>Stephen Rice starts with what he calls a "soapbox" about naming conlangs:
>{quote}
>...only a twit would give a project a generic name.  _Solresol_ means
>_language_; _Babm_ means _international language_; and _Lojban_ means
>_logical language_.........The list of offenders is long: Glosa,
>Interglossa, Interlingua (either one), etc.  Even Occidental, Frater, and
>(for that matter) Esperanto use normal words for names.  (Though the choice
>was not Zamenhof's, _Lingvo Internacia_ is hardly an improvement.)  If you
>ever try creating a language, *PLEASE use some imagination in naming it.*
>{end quote}
>
>Well, I don't want to appear a twit and 'Br(ief) Sc(ript)' is certainly
>generic; the alternative 'Br(own) Sc(ript)' just uses normal words as says
>it's a script invented by Brown.  In fact it's not a separate script - it's
>the plain ol' Roman script, just used a bit oddly  :)
>
>So really I'm after feedback on two things:
>1. Do you think Stephen has a point?  Should one avoid ordinary words or,
>so to speak, a name that's just descriptive like "Speedwords" (which he
>could've added to the list)?
>2. How do/did you choose the name for your conlang(s)?
>
>Also, if you have any suggestions for a name for poor little nameless, but
>nicknamed 'BrSc', I'd be interested to read them - if only to get me to
>think of something more imaginative  ;)

Personally, I'd come to think of "BrSc" as [br=S]. Now, it'd obviously be
preferable to have name that's pronounceable in the language it describes

But as IALs go, really what are the alternatives to something like "world
language" or "international language"? "Esperanto" is pretty weird, IMHO.
Perhaps, to be marginally original, you should call it whatever "rapid
language" translates as in it? To sacrifice a valid word to merely be the
name of the language would be a bit against the goal off compactness, I
guess, so I'm definitely for a name that means something.

Christophe Grandsire has a conlang which's name (which I can't at the moment
recall) means "the good enough one" - perhaps an idea to steal?

                                                Andreas