Ray wrote:
> >the unwritten vowel and unwritten consonant cannot occur
> >  adjacent to each other (this would tend to mean that
> >  there would be either no orthographic C-final words
> >  or no orthographic V-initial words)
> >
> >The result makes every combination of letters licit and
> >pronounceable. The phonotactics are an IAL-friendly CV
> >pattern.
>
>While the CV pattern may be IAL-friendly (and all incarnations of BrSc have
>had this pattern), I am not persuaded that all the consonants and the
>'unwritten' vowel would be 'IAL-friendly' - What will you do with the usual
>'rogues' {c}, {q} and {x}?  One person on this list has argued strongly in
>the past that the glottal stop is not "IAL-friendly".

How universal does a sound have to be to be considered "IAL-friendly". A
good majority of all languages I know something about (a quite small
percentage of the total, of course) has some sort of "ishoid" sound like [S
s` C c\] - frequently several of them. And as you pointed out yourself some
days ago, [x] isn't exactly uncommon either, esp'ly if you include [G X] etc
as valid variants. That'd solve {c} and {x}. Possibly [N] for {q}?

                                                          Andreas