--- Amanda wrote:

> Logically, it would seem to, but touch-typing puts the '6' on the right
> index finger (4 and 5 on the left index finger, 6 and 7 on the right).
> The whole keyboard is divided for touch-typing by a slanting line that
> starts between the 5 and 6 and ends between the b and n.  (Ridiculous
> backward compatibility with typewriters that couldn't have keys right on
> top of each other...)

That's funny, I'm not a bad typist as well, even a rather quick one (about 90
WPM), and I have always typed the 6 with left; it never even occurred to me that
it can be done with right as well. But you are right, it is possible, though not
very convenient in my feeling. Perhaps because I followed a typing course already
twenty years ago on an ordinary typewriter, perhaps because I am left-handed, and
my left hand is faster than my right hand... Who knows?
Looking at my keyboard, I see that the line between "6" and "7" corresponds
more or less with the line between "b" and "n".

> (I touch-type in Dvorak better than Qwerty, but I'd set my keyboard back
> to Qwerty that day so that when I had to hunt-and-peck, I could remember
> where the keys were... :)

Dvorak? Sounds like a composer to me :) I have incidentally worked with other
keyboards (like the - to a Dutch person - rather irritating French/Belgian AZERTY-
thing, the - again to a Dutch person - bad habit have "z" in place of "y" and vice
versa, and the completely different Russian and Greek keyboards).
But I have never heard of Dvorak. Sounds inconvenient, though ;)

Jan

> Amanda

=====
"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." --- J. Michael Straczynski