At 7:02 am +0000 25/4/02, Andreas Johansson wrote:
[snip]

>Personally, I'd come to think of "BrSc" as [br=S].

Yes, maybe if I adopt the Dirk-inspired syllabary, I should render it as
"brx" /p-l-S/. All I have do is decide whether to use front, central or
back vowels  ;)

>Now, it'd obviously be
>preferable to have name that's pronounceable in the language it describes

'twould indeed.

>But as IALs go, really what are the alternatives to something like "world
>language" or "international language"?

Yes, but one does get a little tired of:
Volapuek  (world language)
Mon-ling  (cf. Latin: mundi lingua "world's language")
Unilingua
Veltparl
Geoglot
Hom-idyomo
Mondial
Mondolingue
Interling
etc

But at least they seem to be aimed only at our planet. Whereas...
Kosmal
Lincos   (cf. Latin: lingua cosmica)
Qosmiani

   :)

In this respect "Ro" makes a nice change.

One could be like Leon Bollack's who called his conIAL 'Bolak', tho in
French he called it "La Langue Blue".  No one had told him, I guess, that
'blue language' has a rather different connotation to anglophones  ;)

>"Esperanto" is pretty weird, IMHO.

Yes, but's not what Zamenhof call his language. It was "La lingvo
internacia" - and the idea of _the_ international language has caused
hackles to rise ever since.  "Esperanto" was, of course, the pseudonym
under which Zamenhof originally published his language - Doktoro Esperanto
"Dr Hoping".  The name was only later applied to the language as a nickname
- but like many nicknames, it has stuck.  IMO it is better than Z's
original name.

>Perhaps, to be marginally original, you should call it whatever "rapid
>language" translates as in it?

Not original, alas - Robert Petrie calls revived Speedwords "RapLinRie"
(rapid language shorthand).

>To sacrifice a valid word to merely be the
>name of the language would be a bit against the goal off compactness,

Yep - it depends what system I end up with. If I stick with the written CVC
root-morphemes s and C functional morphemes system, then certainly I don't
have the luxury to sacrifice a valid word.   But if I adopted the syllabary
idea I'll have enough possibilities to allow the language to have its own
name.

>guess, so I'm definitely for a name that means something.
>
>Christophe Grandsire has a conlang which's name (which I can't at the moment
>recall) means "the good enough one" - perhaps an idea to steal?

At 10:59 am +0200 25/4/02, Christophe Grandsire wrote:
[snip]

>The name is "Chasmäöcho" [tSas'mawtS@], the absolute form of "chasmeuth":
>good.
>
>And if you want to steal the idea, be my guest :)) . I like being copied, it
>means my job is not that bad :)) .

Thanks.

But I've got the meaningless _brx_ in mind at the moment  :)

Ray.

   XRICTOC ANECTH