On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:32:38 -0400 "Karapcik, Mike"
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>    Ok, I'm curious as to the region in which the meaning changes.

>    When I was growing up, "fruitcake" ment a wacko (full of nuts
> and
> colorful mystery bits), and "fruity" or "fruit" was a rather obscure
> term
> for a gay man.

>    I know Anita Bryant (*iiickyyyy*, just typing that makes me want
> bleach my keyboard) was very fond of the words "fruity" and "fruit",
> and I
> think she was the first I heard use "fruitcake" to refer to a gay
> man.
-

Who's Anita Bryant?
In the NYC Metro area i don't think there's much of a connection between
"fruity" and "fruitcake"... i've heard the adjective "fruity" (meaning
'like a stereotypical gay male, effeminate') a lot more often than the
noun "fruit", though.  And "fruitcake" i can only remember hearing in the
"crazy like an inedible dessert full of surprises" sense.

-Stephen (Steg)
 "bunnies, bunnies it must be bunnies!"
     ~ from the 'buffy the vampire slayer' musical episode