Steg Belsky writes:

>"many americans" pronounce New York as Noo York?  I thought it was
>(almost?) all Americans, especially those of us who live there!  We don't
>pronounce it that way because we "can't" articulate [nj] or [J], but
>because that's just how we talk.

I pronounce New York as "Noo York" because well.....that's just how I
learned to say it growing up.

Aaaaaanyway....

initial [nj] is difficult for me, but not impossible. I have to make my
tongue work harder at it as well as with /ji/ but I can do it.

/N/ is easy for me now. It was a bit hard at first, but when I took a
Tagalog course, my teacher had us practice it with the five vowels. I have
it down to a science and even include it initially in Saalangal.

Well you'd like to think that you were invincible.
Yeah, well weren't we all once before we felt loss for the first time?