Christophe Grandsire wrote:
>En réponse à Lars Henrik Mathiesen <[log in to unmask]>:
>

> > That may be for pedagogical reasons: kids learn the cardinal colours
> > first
>
>??? What do you mean by "kids learn the cardinal colours first?" I'm sorry,
>but
>it's something I don't understand. You don't learn colours at school. You
>already know them before you arrive at school, and there you only learn to
>decompose them. But using colour names is a matter of everyday use that
>children master much before they arrive at school.
>
>  --- and traditional: I'm not sure the colour name orange was
> > that well established when the first traffic lights went up (~1947),
> > and calling it red-yellow would be asking for trouble.
> >

>You mean the word "orange" didn't exist before?

I can't speak for Denmark, but here across the strait "orange" is a young
word, and, as far as I can tell, also the concept of it being a separate
colour. The older designation _brandgul_ "fire yellow" would seem to
indicate that.

>in how many colours did you cut
>the rainbow then? (the 7 colours of the rainbow are extremely traditional,
>in
>France at least, and imply that "orange" was already well known a long time
>ago. I thought it was a European thing)

First time I ran across the idea that there's seven colours in the rainbow
was in a school book which claimed that, actually, there are only six
colours in it - indigo being a kind of blue.

                                                      Andreas