 --- John Cowan wrote:

> For Anglo-Saxon cooks, that is about 3 1/2 tbsp, or just under half
> a stick.  Odd that you measure butter by mass, but we measure it by
> volume: 1 tbsp = 14.8 cm^3.  Luckily, the GNU units program knows the
> density of butter: 958.61142 kg / m^3.
>
> (Other sources claim 860 and 800 kg / m^3, alas.  To heck with it.)

How on earth can you count with that?!
Now I understand at least why the Anglo-Saxon kitchen has such a bad reputation
here on the continent :)))

> Other examples:  Polish "orange" covers fewer shades than English "orange".

That's true. When I lived in Poland, I once made a remark to somebody about
"driving through the orange light". At first, the person whom I spoke to didn't
seem to understand what I was talking about; in Poland, they call it "yellow".

> Child "soon" is much sooner than adult "soon", at least in English.

Such things are very subjective, and the risk of misunderstanding is probably
universal. I don't think this is language-bound.
I remember my favourite TV shows when I was a kid; I really used to live to
them and then deeply enjoy the exciting adventure. When I look at them now, the
most astonishing thing is that they are so extremely short, only five or ten
minutes...

Jan

=====
"Originality is the art of concealing your source." - Franklin P. Jones