>From: Tim May <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I believe there are supposed to be people with a fourth cone type... I
>seem to recall the word used was "tetrachromat".  Very rare, though.
>Supposed to have exceptionally precise colour sense - I'd suspect
>Cristophe was one with his "Indigo isn't a type of blue", but IIRC
>they're all supposed to be female.  I'm not sure if any have actually
>been found, come to think of it.

People with only one cone type are extremely rare, but they exist.  I
imagine if there are people with four cones, there must be very few of them
- but since a "tetrachromat" would suffer no impairment in colour perception
(quite the opposite), he or she would probably be unlikely to report
anything about it to a doctor and thus be "discovered."  It would really
only stand out in art class or in discussions of colour naming ;   The same
thing applies to all kinds of unusual senses or talents - they may exist but
since they cause no difficulty there is no reason to investigate.  Makes you
wonder what we're really capable of as a species - I always thought my
kindergarten teacher had Bat-like radar - maybe she did...

Andy