Andy Canivet writes:
 > On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 18:41:40 +0100, And Rosta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 >
 > >Herman says:
 > >> "Violet" is a bit of a gray area.
 > >
 > >For me, it's a bit of a purple area.
 > >
 > >--And.
 >
 > LMFO... I remember in my perception class the instructor said something
 > about colours at that end of the spectrum (the purple end) not actually
 > existing at all - perceptually, purple is a mix of red and blue light, but
 > red and blue are at opposite ends of a linear spectrum...  I think he said
 > in the same lecture that instead of three types of cones, many species of
 > fish have four, five, or six types of colour cones in their
 > retinas...

I believe there are supposed to be people with a fourth cone type... I
seem to recall the word used was "tetrachromat".  Very rare, though.
Supposed to have exceptionally precise colour sense - I'd suspect
Cristophe was one with his "Indigo isn't a type of blue", but IIRC
they're all supposed to be female.  I'm not sure if any have actually
been found, come to think of it.