[log in to unmask]" rel=File-List>
Neo wrote:
>Subject: Kinda NATLANG: English stupidities: "You both"
>Where the heck did that come from? And its sad that it is proper >grammar…. Any comments?

What's odd about it?  One is speaking to two, and only two, people (or two groups).

Or is it the conjuction of the apparently singular "you" with "both" --but Engl. you is both sing. and plur., and sometimes needs clarifying-- you all, you guys, you people, you conlangers...you both (as well as "you two/three..." etc.). As with some quantifiers, it's pretty much interchangeable with "both of ...".  Note the distinction between "two of you..." vs. "the two of you..."

The only problem might be in a language with verbal agreement-- the equiv. of "you both" might require 2du or 2pl, while the equiv. of "both of you..." might require a 3rd person verb. (?) (Unfortunately, Spanish fails me here.)

Kash I think would use 2pl in either case:

    hila lorohi (hi)yuñeva

    2pl. ro-ro-hi (2pl)-yu-ñeva (the vbl.pfx. is optional if the pronoun is used)

    you-pl  two-two-2pl/poss (2pl)-inch.-mistaken

    lit., you-pl both-of-you became-mistaken

    "both of you  made mistakes ~ you both made mistakes" (basically emphasizing "the 2 of you" in contrast to "others")

(_lorohi_ could not correctly appear alone as subject)

versus the more neutral:

    hiyuñeva lorohi