<<snip and>>

In a message dated 06/25/02 3:51:06 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Incidentally, there are phonotactic restrictions on the triliteral
roots of Semitic languages.  The first and second consonants cannot be
members of the same phonetic series (according to Campbell).
Consequently, while there are over 3000 possible roots in Arabic,
there aren't 28^3 (21952). >>

    Ah, yes.  This I knew and forgot.  And now that you've explained the
rules, it all makes more sense.  With respect to those rules, though, you do
have one I find rather intriguing: stop-final *voicing*.  That's one I've
never heard of, though the opposite is quite common.  May I ask what prompted
it?

-David

"fawiT, Gug&g, tSagZil-a-Gariz, waj min DidZejsat wazid..."
"Soft, driven, slow and mad, like some new language..."
                    -Jim Morrison