On 06/29 18:20  Adrian Morgan wrote:

> Well, 'bugger' is probably not a swear word at all these days, at
> least not in Australian English, otherwise a certain famous advert for
> cars wouldn't have so used it so liberally on television. Neither is
> 'root' - that's just slang. Maybe not the kind of slang you use in
> polite company, but I don't think any definition would actually class
> it as swearing.

Ah, the Toyota Hilux ad.  I had wondered if it was familiar to
Australians.  In NZ the ad is considered as a defining moment in
national TV history as "You're not in Guatemala, Dr Ropata!" (That one
I'm not going to explain - it's just esoteric!)

- andrew.
--
Andrew Smith, Intheologus                         [log in to unmask]
alias Mungo Foxburr of Loamsdown

"That's the people who hang around the edge of groups at parties.  They
are very exclusive."