Christopher Bates <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ... How common are
> varations on the placement of logical.. well... operators from the way
> we do in english. Like we say:
>
> X and Y
> X or Y
> etc
>
> Do any natural languages adopt a different structure? For instance:
>
> and X Y
>
> This would be kindof handy because then it clears up some ambiguity. For
> instance,
> "X and Y or Z" could mean
>
> and(X,or(Y,Z))
> or
> or(and(X,Y),Z)

    In Gladilatian (a conlang) a conjunction consists of a word before the
first conjunct and another before the last.  (For constructions with more
than two conjuncts the first word is repeated for all but the last one.)
For instance, "and" is "za...we" and (inclusive) "or" is "hra...wo", so
and(X,or(Y,Z)) is "za X we hra Y wo Z", and or(and(X,Y),Z) is "hra za X we Y
wo Z"

                 Dennis Paul Himes    <>    [log in to unmask]
                   http://home.cshore.com/himes/dennis.htm
        Gladilatian page: http://home.cshore.com/himes/glad/lang.htm

Disclaimer: "True, I talk of dreams; which are the children of an idle
brain, begot of nothing but vain fantasy; which is as thin of substance as
the air."                      - Romeo & Juliet, Act I Scene iv Verse 96-99