> [[
> --  This is in double brackets because it has NOTHING to do with TEI
> directly whatsoever. Anybody taking offence at this being in this posting to
> the TEI-L, please skip the following paragraph! --
>
> If anyone could tell me how to EFFICIENTLY process delSpan together with DEL
> XSLT-wise, could you please contact me personally?
> ]]

I think you have to define what you mean by "process delSpan", and
"efficiently".  If you can describe the problem, ie your desired
output, and the parameters (does it have to be dynamic, or part
of a non-time-criticial process? does memory usage matter?), it
would no doubt be possible to work out a processing algorithm. Then,
and only then, we could worry about how to program that in XSLT.