[I'm resubmitting this since I never saw it on the list, and now it has a
subject line]

Here's another question regarding the structure of a multi-volume set,
which we are treating as a composite text.  In volume one, following the
usual kind of front matter for that volume (contents, list of
illustrations) there is a foreword and a general introduction section that
relate to the entire set.  What is the best way to indicate where these are
structurally located while still making it clear that both pieces are
introductory material for all of the volumes?  Should it be pulled out of
the Vol.1 division?