Human Relations Area Files, Inc. (HRAF) produces a full-text SGML database
called the "eHRAF Collection of Archaeology".  Arizona State University is a
subscribing member to this database.

The DTD is not a TEI DTD. We have had two DTDs in the past 10 years and the
designers of both would not agree to use TEI. We are hoping that the next
time around we will succeed in getting a TEI DTD or Schema.

The eHRAF Collection of Archaeology is in its fifth year and is a sibling of
the eHRAF Collection of Ethnography that we have been producing since 1995.
Both collections use the same DTD. The two collections currently comprise
1.2 gigabytes of SGML-coded text and graphics.  The collections increase
each year by approximately 200 Mbytes of SGML. The eHRAF Collections are
collections of literature already published and HRAF does not author any of
it. The documents included display a wide range of literary structures and
languages from all over the world and many time periods including first-hand
reports of the conquest of the Aztecs, contemporary descriptions of Tudor
England. As a result, our DTDs have, of necessity, been required to be very
"loose". Even so, the archaeological literature has been a considerable
challenge to our loose DTD. We do not restrict selection of documents to
"site reports" and I wonder what Trent means by the term. While I am
familiar with the term, our experience with the archaeological literature
leads me to think that there is very little that is standardized in the
writing of archaeological reports. We select from monographs, collections,
dissertations, and journal articles. Some of these are designated as site
reports.

M. Marlene Martin
Managing Editor, HRAF Electronic Publications
Human Relations Area Files
755 Prospect Street
New Haven, CT 06511
Voice: 203-764-9401