Je 04.57 ptm 2002.07.01 -0400, Paul O. BARTLETT skribis
>On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Shane Sniffen wrote:
>
> > La oficiala lingvo de la Internacia Kosma Stacio estas Angla.  Kial la
> > paroluloj de aliaj lingvoj ol Angla devus lerni Anglan por
> > interkomuniki en la Kosmo?  Kaj kial elekti unu lingvon tre komplikan
> > kaj malfacilan kiel Anglan?  Oni devus uzi artefaritlingvon, tia
> > Esperanton, [...]
>
>     I suspect that the powers that be behind endeavors such as the
>International Space Station know little and care less about constructed
>auxiliary languages.  If some people know about them at all, I suspect
>they just plain flat out don't trust them, considering them unproven
>and too risky.

I think your first sentence pretty much covers everything, but am a bit
dubious about the second.

I have also never heard that there is an _official_ language to be used on
the ISS. Frankly, I'm pretty sure that the Russian crews that sometimes man
it don't use English among themselves. If the Russians do not hire airline
pilots on the basis of their competence in English (as this morning's event
over Germany apparently demonstrates), I consider it unlikely that they
would select cosmonauts on the basis of that criterion.

-- Donald J. HARLOW
    Esperanto-Ligo por Norda Ameriko
    PO Box 1129, El Cerrito CA 94530
    tel. +1 510 653 0998 - faks. +1 510 653 1468
    [log in to unmask] - http://www.esperanto-usa.org