In a message dated 07/23/2002 03.37.06 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>>perhaps a conlang how-to like the one by mark rosenfelder
>>(http://www.zompist.com/kit.html) could help you
>
> I may sound totally stupid, but I read both of the kits (Marks and the
>other one, whose name excapes me) and I was still left fairly confused.

    The one created by Pablo Flores? That is a good one.

In a message dated 07/23/2002 03.51.04 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>What was it about the kits that confused you? The terminology, or
>something else?
>
>If Mark Rosenfelder's kit confused you then you're probably not ready for
>_Describing Morphosyntax_ yet, since it's written for linguists and is
>fairly technical.

    As usually, I can not but endorse David Crystal's _Cambridge Encyclopedia
of Language_ enough. It is the best all-round basic introduction to
practically all facets of linguistics. It sure is one of my most used
references on my book shelf ::ruefully looks at how ragged it is getting::.

>Of course, you can always bring your questions to the list.

    Very true. Just as long as we can understand what you are trying to write
or mean...

>       Acctually, it didnt confuse me, I understood it all, but it left
>me feeling "It can't be this easy...." Heck, I don't know maybe I did get it
right
>heh.

    Well, both kits are like just "beginner's guides" (or "Dummy's Guides"
depending on your viewpoint ;)... you are kinda expected to do your own
research into other languages - NatLang, AuxLang, ArtLang, LogLang, etc. and
to read up on linguistic matters a la Payne's _Describing Morphosyntax_ and
Katamba's _An Introduction to Phonology_, etc.

>Later I'll post the grammar of Bamulu to the list, and I'll let people
>peck at it and flame me :)

    ::sharpens talons... eager toothy linguavore grin & drooling::

Hanuman Zhang, 3-Toed-Sloth-Style Gungfu Typist  ;)

"the sloth is a chinese poet upsidedown" --- Jack Kerouac {1922-69}
    "There is no reason for the poet to be limited to words, and in fact the
poet is most poetic when inventing languages. Hence the concept of the poet
as 'language designer'."  --- O. B. Hardison, Jr.

"La poésie date d' aujour d'hui."   (Poetry dates from today)
"La poésie est en jeu."             (Poetry is in play)
                --- Blaise Cendrars