Quoting Barry Garcia <[log in to unmask]>:

> [log in to unmask] writes:
> >I recall a SF novel (and a ST(NG? episode) that dealt with a planet
> >orbiting
> >its primary so quickly that in earth/ship time of one hour or so, life on
> >the planet went from stone to bronze age; after another hour they were
> >developing rockets.
>
> Well, that was a ST Voyager episode as I remember it. It was something
> like every minute was a couple of days or maybe years (i forget the
> specifics) there. By the end of the episode (a few days) the planet had
> reached a level of tech equal to Voyager. Voyager also appeared as a star
> in their sky.

Having watched almost no episodes of ST-Voyager, I know there
was a a ST-NG episode along the lines that Roger mentioned. IIRC,
Picard and the crew bump into a satellite around a dead planet,
it does something to Picard to make him go into a coma, and in
this coma he experiences a whole life-span in this dying
civilization.  It ended up being the civilization's attempt
for someone to remember them.

Thomas Wier          "...koruphàs hetéras hetére:isi prosápto:n /
Dept. of Linguistics  mú:tho:n mè: teléein atrapòn mían..."
University of Chicago "To join together diverse peaks of thought /
1010 E. 59th Street   and not complete one road that has no turn"
Chicago, IL 60637     Empedocles, _On Nature_, on speculative thinkers