[Robert, are you aware that your mails are set to reply to you
alone, not to the list?]

Quoting "Robert \"Neo\" Hill" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Also, i would like some clarification on relative clauses. How would i go
> about implementing them? i dont quite understand what they are or how they
> are used. :/

Relative clauses are used to circumscribe a noun (or in some cases,
another phrase), just like adjectives in English.  So, for example,
the set of all dogs is larger than the set of all black dogs: the
adjective black formally serves to constrict the noun to a subset
relation.  Relative clauses do precisely the same thing.  In fact,
in Phaleran, as in some natural languages, there is no formal
difference between adjectives and relative clauses, since except for
only a handful of particles (mostly number and color terms), all
"adjectives" are verbs, and can only be used to thus constrict
nouns as relative clauses.  I wrote the following to the list some
time back:

<http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0108B&L=conlang&P=R7404>

Things have, basically, not changed much.    The only real difference
is that the examples I give there, while grammatical, all show N-Rel
order.  Phaleran is a fairly strongly left-branching language,
and so unmarked wordorder is normally Rel-N. ("Leftbranching" means
means that within each constituent phrase of the sentence, specifiers
and complements tend to fall on the left hand side of the head noun.
So, for example, in the English phrase "the old man", "man" is the
head of the phrase, and its modifiers fall to its left.  Other phrases,
however, may not agree with this in left-or-rightness.  Verb phrases in
English are usually right-branching, as are prepositional phrases:
in "*loved* the woman" and "*for* the man", the words I mark with
asterisks are heads, and their complements follow to the right afterwards.
In discussing syntax, I should probably also mention that not all
languages appear to distinguish between left- and right-branchedness.
Such languages (e.g. Fox) are called "nonconfigurational" languages
in the literature.)

Thomas Wier          "...koruphàs hetéras hetére:isi prosápto:n /
Dept. of Linguistics  mú:tho:n mè: teléein atrapòn mían..."
University of Chicago "To join together diverse peaks of thought /
1010 E. 59th Street   and not complete one road that has no turn"
Chicago, IL 60637     Empedocles, _On Nature_, on speculative thinkers