In a message dated 07/24/2002 01.45.40 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Jesse Bangs sekalge:
>>Head-first or head-last? E.g. is "dog-head" a kind of dog or a kind of
>>head?
>
>Eek! I haven't even thought of that for Sturnan! Yet again I feel
>stupid.... Fortunately, most of the compounds I've made are composed of
>equal terms. Ah, yes, now that I think of it, Sturnan is head-final,
>treating the lesser part as an adjective.

    What about languages that have both head-first and head-final "options"
in their compoundings (i.e. English is notorious for this in its borrowings
from French... also in "technobabble" and brandnames)? I guess that falls
more under idiomatic usage than anything else...
    Any other natlangs use (or latently use) both head-first and head-final
forms?
IIRV (If I Recall Vaguely) Italian compounds can be either, esp'ly with their
borrowings and slang... but I am not entirely certain.

Hanuman Zhang
Avatar of Sun WuKong, a.k.a "Monkey", a.k.a. "the Monkey King,"
a.k.a. "TricksterGod of the Glorious Anti-Imperialist Chinese Boxers"

    =>  om hung hanumatay rudratmakai hung phat  <=
    mantra to Hanuman the Hindu Monkey TricksterGod

<=  thee prIs ov X.iztenz iz aetern'l warfaer 'N' kreativ playf'llnizz...  =>

googolgigglabyte
goegolgiechelbijt  - of - met een vette megagrijns
GoogolGekicherByte
googolrisibyte ===> el byte de la  risita de googol
googolrisadinhabyte ===>  o byte de risadinha de googol
googolspassoctet
gugolhihibajt
gugolngisibayt
okukolkikikol
eg˙gelegigalibaith
ikhakpanc'anoonv÷l
cimacimakekehapi
pokatra oemadroabhethetre
va'i utne tuktukt'ishushukuko`g tuk  go`go`o`gwgaga