On Tuesday 30 July 2002 17:59, JS Bangs wrote:
> So yesterday the Slavic dept here at my university gave away a whole bunch
> of old textbooks, and I walked out with a complete set of Russian texts in
> very good condition.  I'm starting to work through them, now but I'm a bit
> frustrated by the orthography and poor explanations (though they're not
> half as poor as some others I've seen).  Anyway, I know someone has posted
> Cyrillic to IPA information for Russian here before--can they send it on
> again or point me to it in the archives. (Searching through the Yahoo
> groups is *such* a mess.)

        Here you go, with the Cyrillic, Latin, and IPA equivalents:
а      a       a
б      b       b
в      v       v
г      g       g
д      d       d
е      je      jE
ё      jo      jo*
ж      zh      Z
з      z       z
и      i       i
й      j       j
к      k       k
л      l       l
м      m       m
н      n       n
о      o       o*
п      p       p
р      r       r
с      s       s
т      t       t
у      u       u
ф      f       f
х      kh      x
ц      ts**    ts
ч      ch      tS
ш      sh      S
щ      shch    StS, S:***
       "       ****
ы      y       1
ь      '       *****
э      e       E
ю      ju      ju
я      ja      ja

* I'm really not quite sure whether "o" should be /o/ or /O/. I do not
distinguish between the two in English, so I have a difficult time deciding
which is which. :)
** You'll often see this transliterated in older literature as "cz" as in
"czar".
*** This sound seems to vary by region. Most textbooks say "freSH CHeese" for
the sound, although when I was in St. Petersburg, most people pronounced it
as a long /S/. Thus, "ещё" was most often pronounced /jES:_jo/.
**** Hard sign; indicates that the preceeding consonant is not palatized. For
instance, in "об яснить" the "б" is not palatized, even though it is followed
by a "я"
***** Soft sign; indicates that the preceeding consonant is palatized. Final
consonants are generally hard, except when otherwise indicated; hence "очень"
has a final soft "н."
        Hope that helps,
        :Peter