FWIW, Bruce Wienke's new book, Technical Diving in Depth, and possibly its
first edition, Basic Diving Physics and Applicatons, has a formula to
calculate buoyancy at depth from compression of a wet suit.  Alas, what's
missing is how to estimate the size of air pockets in neoprene beforehand!

At 12:00 AM 8/7/2002 -0400, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:54:17 -0400
>From:    "Huntzinger, Hugh A [AMSTA-AR-CCL-B]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Tired neoprene (was: 5mm or 7mm?)
>
>Marv writes:
> >
> > A new Oneill 3mm was so buoyant for the first 10 dives,
> > I needed 2 lbs more to stay comfortably neutral...
> > After ~ 10 dives, I need to add a tad of gas to
> > the BC at max depth which cued me to ditch the 2 lbs.
>
>I found the initial break-in of my 3mm nearly identical:  2lbs after ~10
>dives.
>
>It did continue to slowly creep down by nearly another 2lbs, so this suit
>has changed from +6lbs to +2lbs across its life so far.
>
>The thing that strikes me with this all is that it seems to really pop the
>balloon on a lot of those "ultimate buoyancy" claims: being "diver skill".
>Base lining the suit revealed just plain old physics :-)
>

>-Hugh

Warm regards,

Marv Gozum
Philadelphia PA