Ciara,

We do it for grown ups. It works very well.  We call it the RAT (Rapid
Asessment Team) Main advantages are:

1) Gets rid of waiting -  we are aspiring to a 'no one waits in our
department' vision.  So the first Health Care Proivder initiates relevant
treatment or investigations.

2) More senior doctor reduces inappropriae investigations

3)  Juniors learn from senior's experience

4) Senior's dont learn from juniors' mistakes !

5) Shortens cycle time for patients in the emergency department.

6)  We are ultimately moving towards multiple access points with
multi-disciplinary initial assessment. That means it may be teh nurse or the
doctor who registers the patient. We believe it is important to remove
territorialism from the emergency department. If you have teh IT skills to
register a patient then do it patient side while taking a history.

And all this in Dublin too Ciara !

kind regards

John Ryan
(Consultant in Emergency Medicine St Vincent's University Hospital)

Dr John Ryan