Je 04.10 ptm 2002.09.06 -0400, CHANG Wei skribis

>My complaint: people who write in the Tino, Romanica,
>Interlingua, Communicando, Esperanto, Ido, etc. and so
>expect everybody in the world MUST understand -- because
>every educated personality SHOULD know Latin or romanic
>languages.

Correction. At least those who write in Esperanto (and, I believe, Ido) do
_not_ expect everybody to understand at sight; neither of these languages
proposes itself as a _prime vista_ tongue, but expects those who want to
understand it to _learn_ it first.

As I've said before, when I write in Esperanto in this list, I'm aiming at
a specific subset of the list -- those who can read Esperanto (or perhaps
at only one or two people whom I know read Esperanto). If you haven't
learned Esperanto, I don't expect you to be able to read my messages in
that language.

Interlingua, among others, proposes a different philosophy, somewhat closer
to the one that so bothers you. But then its inventor did _not_ claim that
it would be a "world language", and in fact claimed not even to believe in
the idea.

Incidentally, Sebastian showed you a list of words in Occidental that
derived from non-Romance (in fact, non-Western) languages. Esperanto has
many such words; Samimy's _Plena Esperanto-Persa Vortaro_ (Tehran, 1983)
offers four tightly-packed pages (two columns per page) of "the Persian,
Arabic, Turkish and Hindi words in the Esperanto vocabulary", ranging from
"admiralo" through "zibeto". The _Enciklopedieto Japana_ contains a large
number of Esperanto terms lent to the language by Japanese (I particularly
like "juj^o: ac^etebla elegantulino de la Edo-epoko"). It's sad that no one
has bothered to collect the glosses offered over the years in _El Popola
C^inio_ and the many Chinese books published in Esperanto guise. At ELNA we
sell a small dictionary of Enzedder and Aussie terms lent to Esperanto by
those varieties of English, few if any of which originated in the Romance
languages (many of the terms in the book come originally from Maori and
various Australian aboriginal tongues).

So, again, when it comes to Esperanto, we expect you to be able to read
Esperanto not if you happen to know a Romance language but if you've
learned Esperanto. Which, in itself, is not a difficult thing to do.

-- Don HARLOW

Pasis longa voj'
Iri ĉi tien de for;
Pasis longa temp',