Am Samstag den, 7. September 2002, um 05:15, schrieb Wei Chang:

> I did not say that, I responded to that being said!

Yes, that's why it has one additional quoting sign.

> Yes, Occidental seems to me like Interlingua with
> some of the final consonants knocked off and a few
> odd words like "strax." So you have a point of sorts
> --if I understand (I might not!!)

Well, I know that there is superficial similarity between the two
projects. The difference is that Wahl tried to make his language as
regular as possible in derivation and the like. The scope of
IALA-Interlingua (which is a different project form Peano's
Interlingua-Latino sine flexione) was not so much on regularity, but on
a compromise between the living romance languages. That's why the
underlying (?) structure of the two languages is different.

On vocabulary: Somewhere Wahl wrote that there, where is no common
international* vocabulary, one is free to select. So he selectet strax
and till, mann and flicca from swedish (well, strax and mann exist in
german too, as do til and man in english).

> His list of not-Europe words is good, many will be in
> any non-A-priori project. But much is over simplified.
> What does "harem" mean IN Arabic, "illegal & forbidden"
> I think, etc. Do most Chinese call tea "tÈ" ?? Nope!!
> It comes out "cha" --closer to Russian Japanese Portuguese
> etc. Is "mandarin" a Chinese word?? I think not. How
> close is "silk." Etc. But yes ,much of the list is an international
> one. Also most of the words are very low
> frequency. None as common as his word "strax" (very hard
> for many peoples around the world to say!!)

The basic problem, also with the Esperanto vocabulary is that if there
are non-european words, they are always passed through these european
languages. There are only very few exceptions, as "kolbaso" or "pravo"
in Eo which are from russian. (By the way, what words Eo did adopt from
polish?)

They tried to motivate the use of the european vocabulary as the base
vocaluray by the argument that there are mostly westeners who were
standing in international relations and so they mostly need a
international lanugage.

I can not speak for IALA-Interlingua, but E. v. Wahl was conscient of
the fact, that his language was suited more for occidental people than
for, lets say, asian. But his aim was to create a language,
comprehensible at first sight. This is only possible, if you contentrate
yourself on not to vast a group of languages and peoples with close
cultural ties. That's why he was positive to efforts of creating an own
asiatic auxlang. He wrote about this in an article in Cosmoglotta which
I havn't yet put on the web. I will post a short note when it is
available.

Sebastian