Philip Newton scripsit:

> That reminds me... English is the only language I know (though that's
> not saying much on a global scale) where the indefinite article "a, an"
> is distinct from the numeral "one".
>
> They surely have the same origin, but they look different in
> contemporary English.

Well, in Spanish the masculine indef. art. is "un" (as in "yo soy un
hombre sincero"), but the masc. number is "uno" (as in "tres mujeres
y uno hombre", a phrase I got by googling).

In Dutch likewise "en mens" is "a person", but "een mens" is "one person".

In editions of Wittgenstein, "ein" is written with an e-acute when it means "one".

--
"No, John.  I want formats that are actually       John Cowan
useful, rather than over-featured megaliths that   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan