Steg Belsky scripsit:

> Venatan lo shilton `al peney ha'aretz--
> (and-(he)gave him rulership on surface/face(of) the-earth)
> |shilton| may be a post-Biblical word, i'm not sure.

What word is used in Gen. 1:26?

--
John Cowan                                   [log in to unmask]

Gen 1:26 Has "v'yirdu," from a root meaning to rule, or have dominion over.

Steg's word choice may reflect modern Hebrew usage, but it is also aptly
psalmodic; the first thing it brought to my mind was the line in psalm 145:
". . .umemshalt'cha b'kawl dor vador"--and your dominion (endures) through
all generations".

A scholar of Biblical Hebrew could probably do some tweaking here and there,
but, all in all, I found Steg's translation very impressive.

B. Freedberg