On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:49:42 +0200 Roberto Suarez Soto <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> On Sep/09/2002, Steg Belsky wrote:
> > Yiddish has the same indefinite articles as English: |a| and
> |an|,

>         You mean the same, exactly the same? :-m "a" and "an"
> literally, in the same places?
>         It's not that I doubt it, only that I'm surprised for such
> coincidence :-)
> --
>         Roberto Suarez Soto
-

Yup, exactly the same.  So you say |Iz do a hunt| "There's a dog", but
|Iz do an elnboign| "There's an elbow".  Another similarity between
Yiddish and English is that they both derounded their umlauts:
English: foot, feet. /fUt fit/
Yiddish: fus, fis. /fus fis/

-Stephen (Steg)
 "there is darkness all around us;
  but if darkness *is*, and the darkness is of the forest,
  then the darkness must be good."
     ~ song of the BaMbuti in troubled times