On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:44:25 -0400 Muke Tever scripsit:

> Wasn't Biblical Hebrew verb-initial?

Besides, on Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:19:39 -0400 Steg Belsky scripsit:

> the dominant word order was VSO, as in |bereishit bara
> eloqim et hashamayim ve'et ha'aretz| "in-the-beginning, created God
> (obj)-the-sky and-(obj)-the-earth".  However, sometimes the O or the S
> get fronted, and in the sentence above, |vekhol yameinu hhokhmatekha
> yabi`u|, the verb just "felt right" to me in final position.  Whether
> that's correct from a Biblical Hebrew poetics standpoint, i wouldn't know
> for sure.

It was VSO in narrative, but not necessary in poetry which has rather free
word order depending on the rhythm of the verse. In psalms V often stands in
the end of half-verse or verse, being in pausal (stressed) form. Why? Maybe,
for emphasis... Cf. Ps.145 (Ashrei etc.)

Yitzik