Quoting "Karapcik, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>:

> | Also, aren't those called "deictics"?
>
>         My linguistics professor used the term "dactyls" last week. He said
> they are "pointing" words, sort of "verbal fingers" to indicate what you're
> "verbally pointing to".

Well, in linguistic theory, they are generally called _deictics_,
and are instantiations of _deixis_.

(_Dactyl_ AFAIK comes up in linguistics only during discussion of
poetics and prosodic theories of phonology.)

Thomas Wier            "I find it useful to meet my subjects personally,
Chicago, IL 60637