Quoting "Karapcik, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>:

> | Also, aren't those called "deictics"?
>         My linguistics professor used the term "dactyls" last week. He said
> they are "pointing" words, sort of "verbal fingers" to indicate what you're
> "verbally pointing to".

Well, in linguistic theory, they are generally called _deictics_,
and are instantiations of _deixis_.

(_Dactyl_ AFAIK comes up in linguistics only during discussion of
poetics and prosodic theories of phonology.)

Thomas Wier            "I find it useful to meet my subjects personally,
Dept. of Linguistics    because our secret police don't get it right
University of Chicago   half the time." -- octogenarian Sheikh Zayed of
1010 E. 59th Street     Abu Dhabi, to a French reporter.
Chicago, IL 60637