Quoting Joe <[log in to unmask]>:

> From: "Philip Newton" <[log in to unmask]>
> > On 7 Sep 02, at 20:44, Roberto Suarez Soto wrote:
> >
> > > Here, "uno" doesn't mean "one" or "a", but more "oneself". So, "no
> > > tener uno hombre" could be pedantically translated to "not to have
> > > oneself a man", or simply "not to have (got?) a man for oneself". In
> > > fact, you could strip the "uno", and it will make perfect sense. I
> > > don't even know if "oneself" is correct in english, but you get the
> > > idea :-)
> >
> > It's correct. "One has to look out for oneself", etc.
> > [snip]
> If you're a posh git, yes ;-)

I don't see why using "one" or "oneself" as a pronoun is pretentious,
per se.  The ability to master different registers of the language is
important, afterall.  This phrasing is simply inappropriate on lower
level registers.

Thomas Wier            "I find it useful to meet my subjects personally,
Chicago, IL 60637