Quoting HCLE Quernheim <[log in to unmask]>:

> > P.S.
> > "kämpfen mit" can also mean something like "to
> > struggle with".
> >
> > HCLE
> > <<>>
>
> so one interpretation could be that the gods
> themselves have to deal with their own stupidity ( and
> they fail ) ?
> <<>>
>
> Right. At least that's how I myself interprete that Schiller line.
> What other interpretation could you imagine? That they have to deal with
> others' stupidity?

Of course.  That they would have to deal with others'
stupidity is how I immediately interpreted it, because
IIRC Schiller never underwent the period of religious
doubt and agnosticism that Goethe did. (Indeed, the
only reason he did not become a clergyman was that his
father forced him to enter a military academy.) Contempt
for religion did not anyways become openly expressed
much even in Europe until the late 19th and 20th centuries.

Thomas Wier            "I find it useful to meet my subjects personally,
Chicago, IL 60637