Quoting John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>:

> Peter Clark scripsit:
>
> > Take "roast" for
> > instance. M-W gives the etymology as "Middle English rosten, from Old
> French
> > rostir, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German rOsten to roast." So
> it's
> > Germanic, but not Anglo-Saxon.
>
> When writing Ander-Saxon, I treat these as sheep.  I also treat as a sheep
> any word present in Old English even if it's a borrowing: cross, street,
> wine.
    Good point. However, in the case of all three, there are even _PURER_ :)
words available: cross = rood, street = road, wine = mead (albeit this is an
extension of the semantic range, it's not too much of a stretch, especially
since the Greek cognate is methy, wine). However, the verb "to cross (over)"
might be acceptable, since no A-S equivalents spring to mind.
    Speaking of Ander-Saxon, did you recover those old postings? I wasn't
paying much attention to the thread after a point.
    :Peter