----- Original Message -----
From: "John Cowan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: CHAT: "Godhead"[LONG] (wasRe: 2nd pers. pron. for God)

> Joe scripsit:
>
> > Which evidence would this be?  Browsing through the bible, I see no
evidence
> > of acknowledgement of other Gods.
>
> Well, for one, note the wording of the First Commandment:  "You shall have
> no other gods BEFORE me", meaning quite literally "in front of".  The
> existence of other gods is not actually denied; the Israelites are merely
> told to worship their God first and foremost.

I'd interpret that as, you shall not worship an idol/false God before me...

> Then there is Chemosh, the god of the Moabites.  In Judges 11:24, we hear:
>
> Judges 011:024 Wilt not thou possess that which Chemosh thy god giveth
thee
>         to possess? So whomsoever the LORD our God shall drive out
>         from before us, them will we possess.

Again, it's down to interpretation.  It would be the equivalent of a
christian saying 'Will you keep what Allah has given you?  So, we will Keep
through Christ what we posess."  Seems like a cross-cultural speech to
me...how else would you speak to them

> So here, a spokesman for the Israelites speaks of Chemosh and the God
> of Israel as being on almost equal terms.
>
> 2 Kings 3:27 says:
>
>  Then he [the King of Moab] took his eldest son that should have reigned
in his
>         stead, and offered him for a burnt offering upon the wall. And
>         there was great indignation against Israel: and they departed
>         from him, and returned to their own land.
>
> "Indignation" by whom?  This looks suspiciously like a clumsy editing of
> an original reading "And Chemosh had great indignation against Israel."

Um, no it doesn't.  It looks a lot like 'the moabites had great indignation
against israel...'