 --- Toksyka wipraŁa Icyk skrzypszy:

> On the other hand, a form based on |curtus| would be attractive as
> well, especially since the Polish word is |krótki|!
> <<<<<<<<
>
> Nice inter-lingual pun!

The solution is actually quite simple: |brzew| will be "short in time", |krut|
will be "short in size" (I've always been like that. When I can't choose
between two options, I usually take both).

By the way, where does the English word "short" come from? I presume it must be
cognate to Du. "kort", Ge. "kurz", Fr. "court", Ru. "korotkij", etc., but if
so, I'm seriously wondering how/why the /k/ could change to /sh/.

> Well, Romanian can offer you smth like |bŕrbatului| which is G.-D. of
> above ;-)

Hmmm. Perhaps I'll reconsider.

>  this would become |wipra| in Wenedyk. The diminutive (admittedly
> I'm not that far yet) would probably be something like |wipraŁa|.
> <<<<<<<<<<<
>
> Fits! But why diminutive suffix |-l/a| ?

One of the common Latin diminutives... But as I already wrote, I'm working on
Wenedyk slowly and cautiously, and this one is still far beyond the stadium the
language is in. But |wipra| just wouldn't do as a translation for "snakie".

Furthermore, you wrote:

> I know OE-based conlangs are not very inventive, but from my
> Russian-L1 viewpoint it's exotic!

I thought your L1 was Ukrainian, Russian being your wife's L1?

Anyway, for the same reason Latin-based conlangs are not very inventive. But
Wenedyk is not meant to be either beautiful or original. It's just that I find
it very interesting to work on it. However, I save my originality for Hattic
and Askaic.

> Now you have got me curious.  Can you identify people as
> 'surzhiki'/'surzhiks'?
> <<<<<<<<<<
>
> No. That's just a name for the lang. Most of people speaking it
> identify themselves as Ukrainians, as far as I can observe.

Is this a particulal Kievan phenomenon? I asked my girlfriend (who is from
Lviv, as you might recall) if she has ever heard of it, and she said nope (to
be more exact: "nie" :) )

> What does it look like in contrast to its parent
> languages.
> <<<<<<<<<<
>
> Quite a mix. It's essentialy :-) Russian spoken with strong Ukrainian
> accent and application of Ukrainian paradygms and link words.

Could it be considered some sort of a transitory dialect, maybe a hybrid? Or
does it just mean that people can throw in Ukrainian idioms and expressions at
will?

> Best wishes,
> Yitzik

Wzajemnie,

Jan

=====
"Originality is the art of concealing your source." - Franklin P. Jones