Hello,

> Well, you got me to coin my first real words in
> Kropja.
>
> Hello: ordinarily it is "Czeczk" /tSEtSk/ .  However,
> if it is someone you haven't seen for a long time, you
> would say "Khopa!" /"xopa/

OK, I see at least the root in the first one (but where is the -k
from?). But what is the etymology of 'khopa'??? Can't find it in neither
Croatian nor Polish, and I don't think I know enough Yiddish to figure
it out.. Yiddish...

> Good-bye: The word is "Znovw" /"znovu/ and literally
> means "again", as in, "We'll see each other again."

Nice... I don't think any Slavic language I know of uses this particular
root in that context, but hey, conventionality is dull :-)

While we're at it, here goes the Skuodian:

"Sviika!" is a Lithuanian borrowing, and it is the neutral greeting.
Official contexts require the old Slavic "Suorviejtie!" (cf. Bulgarian
_zdravejte!_), and the people tend to say "Terve!" quite a lot (and
sometimes a Slavified "Tervejtie!")

Good-bye is easy, since that is also a Lithuanian borrowing: "Suudie!".
You can also hear the Polish borrowing "Naraasje!" quite often.

Pavel
--
Pavel Iosad               [log in to unmask]

Is mall a mharcaicheas am fear a bheachdaicheas
                 --Scottish proverb