Hello,

Welcoem back on board.

> Now that I'm back and here, do I need to restart the friday vocab
exercises?

Surely so.

> A question on mutation:

> If  soft mutation looks like this: p,t,c,b,d,g > b,d,g,m,n, (or /N/);
f,/T/,/X/>v,/D/,/G/
> And breathed like this: p,t,c,b,d,g > f,/T/,/X/,v,/D/,/G/; m>v; s>sh,
sh>h

> What would happen to l and lh (the famous welsh ll)?

> (soft - from old nasals; breathed  from intervocalic position,stop
clusters, and -s)

Hmm, if it runs like this, I find it a bit strange (especially the nT >
D part).

Based on the rationale alone, I'd suggest _l_ change into respectively
an unrounded [w] (what's the X-SAMPA?) and _lh_ respectively, and _lh_
into _l_ and its own geminated form.

The Noldo in me also whispers something asbout _nl_ > _ll_ or _nn_
(hmm... a _l_ > _nn_ mutation is piquant!)

Pavel
--
Pavel Iosad               [log in to unmask]

Is mall a mharcaicheas am fear a bheachdaicheas
                 --Scottish proverb