I understand the hows and whys of vowel harmony, and
like the idea a lot. I had a system going, a rather
nice system, for the earlier versions of my current
conlang, but I had abandoned it, citing my magic
'historical reasons' wand and to give me an excuse to
introduce a lot of irregularity with the rubble of the
collapsed system.

Can anyone give me examples of vowel harmony systems
that are neither Finno-Ugric nor Turkish? How would
vowel harmony evolve in a language previously without
such a system?