--- Jan van Steenbergen <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I think you are being a bit unfair to poor Heather,
> since the thread you are
> referring to happens to take place on CeltiConlang.
> I suggest you to cross-post it to Conlang.

Ah, I'll do just that. Doranwen posted the first few
verses of John 1 in her Celtic conlang, so I
translated the same from Latin to Kerno:

1. Bodeor 'ny phrincippes il Logos, et bodeor poz
le Zeus il Logos, et bodoer il Deus il Logos.
2. Bodeor 'ny phrincippes poz le Zeus elo cest.
3. Agoueneit ar h-ysser tramper elo y thottes; et
h-agoueneit ar h-ysser sens elo n' rhen nonck. Ce
que-s-agoueneit ar h-ysser tramper elo eoer la
gouitha, et c' esta gouitha eoer la Lucés lor
omen; et h-ambilus la nduvien ce lucés, et ne nicouens

pass lâ lucés la duvió.
4. Fu domithes di Zeus yn om, Ioannes.
5. Dogoueneit ell en testemoneas, ar jandicer lâ
destemonea al' Lucés, que crezayas c' ollom amb
li.
6. Non fu bril ell la lucés, mays dogoueneit ell
ar jandicer lâ destemonea al' Lucés.
7. La Lucés gouer, la quen ambilumens c' ollom,
ar gouenir 'n le munnem.
8. Bodeor en le munnem elo, et h-agoueneit ar
h-ysser tramper elo il munnem, mays ne saveu bril il
munnemys. Dogoueneit a que eoer il sew; mays ne
corzcavus
pass la teoutha la seva.
9. Mays a ells que corzcavuont-elo, deda elo la
nertien di gouers-si en vappes le Deus; que fuont
nathes non di sancoues gouth, non dy chorpuroer
rhen, non di gouoluntate l' omen, mays di Deus.
10. Et gouerus-si en caró il Logos, et gouiveu
poz nois elo cest; et couizémus nus lâ sevâ glorea,
na glorea cawsi dil yen Mabos le Deus, llen di
gracea et goueritate.

A question came up as to the etymology of "bodoer",
which is an imperfect form of be in Kerno. I also gave
the basic conjugation of be:

Ysser is triradical: es-/er-, fu-/fo-, and bi-/bod-.
Bodoer is the imperfect, composed of the root
bod- plus the past ending -eor. There is no real
difference between "bodeor" and "eoer", except that
the latter was the literary form par excellence until
the Bible was translated into Kerno. The translators
seem to have chosen bodoer because it is fuller
sounding. Bodoer has always been in the mouths of the
people, though, and is almost certainly Celtic.

Be is declined like this:

INDICATIVE                  SUBJUNCTIVE
INFINITIVE
ysser            bodar      forer

PRESENT
sum   [amme]     biam       forem    [forme]
es    [asty]     bias       fores    [fort]
eth   [atsa]     biath      foreth   [forsa]
súmus [annus]    súmus      furémus  [forem]
ez    [avus]     ez         forez    [foriv]
sunt  [aontsa]   viont      foront

Bracketed forms are emphatic.

PAST IMPERFECT
eram             bodoer
eoer             bodoer
eoer             bodoer
irámus           buderámus
eraz             boderaz
erant            voderant

PAST PERFECT                PAST
fu                          foryam, forassem
fus                         foryas, forasses
fu(s)                       foryas, forasses
fuamus                      foryamus, furassémus
fuaz                        foryaz, forassez
fuont                       foryant, forassent

FUTURE
                 bodam      forisso
                 bodys      forisses
                 boz        forisseth
                 budámus    furissémus
                 bodez      forissez
                 vodont     forissont

IMPERATIVE
esso             boda       for
esset            bodat      foret

Foreir was once an independent verb.

For what it's worth, ystar also answers to "be", and
is declined thus:

INDICATIVE       SUBJUNCTIVE

ystar

PRESENT
istam            istem
ist              istes
ist              iste
estámus          estémus
istaz            istez
istont           istiont

IMPERFECT
estaba
estaba
estaba
estávam
estábaz
estabont

PERFECT          PAST
ystetai          ystetem
ystez            ystetes
ysteta           isteteth
ystitímos        ystitémus
ystetez          ystetez
ystetiont        ystetiont

FUTURE
estatura         istetissam
estaturas        istetissas
estatura         istetissath
estaturémus      istetissámus
estaturez        istetissaz
estaturont       istetissant

IMPERATIVE
esta
estaz

Note that e- is found before roots in A, O; while y-
and i- are found before E, I, U. Funny how that works
out!; as I never paid attention to this particular
difference between est- and yst- in Kerno before.

There is already a difference between yst-/est- and
eht- (written est- or et- but pronounced /Eht/), which
is one of emphasis.

> BTW I really enjoyed that post. After the numerals,
> the conjugation of "to be"
> is definitely my second-favourite thing to watch and
> collect. I felt tempted to
> counter-post the same thing in Wenedyk, but since
> I'm currently reworking a
> lot, I succeeded in restraining myself.

Well, I hope that adds a little to your collection!
There's also loads more of irregular verbs where that
came from.

> Jan

Padraic.

=====
il dunar-li c' argeont ayn politig;
     celist il pozponer le mbutheor ayn backun gras.