On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:24:43 -0400 Ian Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> 'Allo,
>
> Apparently I've been thinking about conlanging in my sleep, because
> just invented a new verb aspect. Or re-invented it, more likely.
>
> Specicifically, I'm conceiving of an aspect that marks having the
> ability to do something. So, it would turn "to run" into "to be able
> run". There could also be a seperate aspect for being allowed to do
> something, so that it would become "to be allowed to run". And,
> while
> we're at it, there could be one for willingness ("to be willing to
> run").
>
> Does anyone know of an existing language (conlangs included) that
> marks
> any of these? If not, I nominate the terms abilitative, permissive,
> and... um, I don't know. Any suggestions for the third?

One (so far) dialect of Kinsi Rorotan sort of has the "abilitative" and
"permissive".  in this dialect, _ask_ and _koz_, usually used as separate
verbs, are prefixed to a verb, the same way verb aspects are usually
formed in Kinsi Rorotan.  Kinsi Rorotan also has the third, which I call
"optative".

Robert Wilson (Elentirno Pereldar) (mailto:[log in to unmask])
I yessess Eru ontan Menel ar Cemen.
I yessess a Quetta ar Quetta n as Eru ar Eru n Quetta.
"Ananwa," eque erye, "i ilv n carm Eruva. Ily nati nar tanwi
Erullo."