Hello,

> In Welsh, IIANM, initial *w in "strong" position was even
> strenthened to
> /gw/.  Those expert in Welsh (or Brithenig :-) can probably
> confirm or correct this.

I'm no expert (as of yet), but you're perfectly correct. This happened
becaue of the strengthening of the velar component of [w].

Pavel
(the resident Cambrophile)

(Speaking of me being no expert, we opened a centre for Irish studies
yesterday at University, and thanks ot the Irish embassy we got a
plethora of books... including Jackson. So I guess I won't be anywhere
near real life in a couple of weeks - I'll be sitting up late and
reading Jackson :-))
--
Pavel Iosad               [log in to unmask]

Is mall a mharcaicheas am fear a bheachdaicheas
                 --Scottish proverb